Puffy eyes can occur to anyone at any stage of their life and there are many reasons for this common complaint.
Puffiness around the eyes is not to be confused with eye bags that are unfortunately permanent。
Puffy eyes are usually temporary and are mostly caused by some external factor so they can be prevented more easily than eye bags can。
You may notice that when you wake up in the morning your eyes seem puffy at first but at some point later in the day the puffing subsides. This happens because of the fact that when we sleep we lie down in a horizontal position.
Basically, the flow of body fluids is interrupted when our bodies are not upright. Gravity usually works in helping the normal flow of fluid within the body.
When it cannot do this the result is fluid retention and this can lead to a puffy face and puffy eyes when we wake up.
Some people suggest using two pillows to avoid morning face and eye puffiness, as this props the head up and helps accumulated fluids in the head to flow in a downwards direction。
There are some simple ‘puffy eyes remedies’ that you can try out yourself at home。
On waking if you find that your eyes have become puffy over night simply splash them with cold water. This will have an instant tightening and firming effect on the eyes and will also help to wake you up!
Freeze used caffeinated teabags and when ready lie down, place them over each eye and relax for 10 – 15 minutes to help reduce puffy eyes。
Caffeine is a natural diuretic and can help to extract fluid from your skin, the cold from the frozen teabags will help your blood vessels to constrict thus reducing any puffiness and swelling。
A simple and effective treatment for puffy eyes is a homemade eye mask。
The blend should have a soothing and firming effect and help to reduce under eye puffiness. You can store any left over pulp in the fridge for later.
新浪彩票Gently massaging the eye area can help increase circulation and blood flow to this part of your face, thus reducing eye puffiness。
新浪彩票Use a very light cream, salve or oil to massage the delicate skin here and try this method for encouraging the drainage of fluid from around the eyes。
1. Gently place the ring finger from each of your hands on to the inner corners of each eye
2. Press down with firm but gentle pressure for a count of 5
3. Release the pressure and glide the fingers gently underneath your eyes, along their sockets and out towards the temples
4. At your temples massage the skin gently in a circular motion for a count of 10
5. Gently glide your fingers back to the inner corners of the eyes
6. Repeat up to 10 times
7. Next place your fingertips of the middle fingers behind your ears and massage in circular movements for 1 or 2 minutes – massaging this area helps to drain lymph congestion that can cause under eye puffiness
Although facial exercises are generally associated with preventing the signs of aging and maintaining a youthful look, there are exercises you can do if puffy eyes are a problem for you.
The main reason facial exercises can help to reduce under eye puffiness is because many exercises get your blood circulating and flowing and this helps to drain away the build up of fluids causing puffiness from the under eye area.
Perform facial exercises by sitting or standing comfortably with your neck and shoulders relaxed. Many people like to perform facial exercises in front of a mirror so they can see the muscles at work and make sure that they are performing the exercises correctly.
1. Place your middle fingers on the inner corners of each eye
2. Place your index fingers on the outer corners of each eye
3. Apply light but firm pressure with your fingers
4. Look upwards and at the same time use your lower eyelids to squint – if you are doing this right you will feel a fluttering sensation under your fingers
5. Hold for a count of 5
6. Release the squint, relax and repeat 5 – 10 times
1. Lean forwards supporting yourself on something stable such as a sturdy table or dresser
2. Raise your eyebrows
3.新浪彩票 Raise the lower lids slowly until they are half closed – as if you are trying to avoid getting smoke in your eyes
4. Close your eyes fully and squeeze the eyelids tightly shut whilst simultaneously relaxing your eyebrows
5. Hold for a count of 5
6. Release and relax you eyes for a few seconds
7. Repeat 5 times
1. Close your eyes
2.新浪彩票 Raise your eyebrows
3. Hold the position for a count of 3
4. Release and relax for a count of 3
5. Open your eyes wide and hold for a count of 3
6. Repeat the whole process 10 times
新浪彩票I am a consultant dermatologist who has worked in both private and public clinics for 8 Years. Graduate of the University of Florida, I am currently practising in Sunny Miami. Ask me any skincare question below